“Everyone has the potential to become an encourager. You don't have to be rich. You don't have to be a genius. You don't have to have it all together. All you have to do is care about people and initiate.”
―John C. Maxwell
EXPERIENTIAL BACKGROUND (ABRIDGED)
Errol Gibbs was born in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies. At 14 years of age, Errol was in the presence of his father, who was involved in a catastrophic accident. Errol was the fourth among nine siblings to a mother who was a homemaker. The sudden passing of Errol's father cast a shadow of despair over the life of his mother, siblings, and himself. Errol lost the privilege of fatherhood guidance —temporarily. These early years informed his compassion for human suffering and his search for meaning and purpose in life.
After completing an elite technical/polytechnic education, Errol migrated to Canada in 1969, where he lived for twenty-eight years (1969 - 1997). Errol worked for Ontario Power Generation (OPG) for 25 years (1970 - 1995) in various capacities, such as Instrumentation Engineering Tech IV, Control Maintainer II (Electrical and Instrumentation), Planning and Scheduling Engineer/Officer, and Project Management Analyst (PMA).
Errol tenured in multiple aspects of engineering design and development in nuclear construction and engineering planning, to thermal plant maintenance planning, to engineering planning at OPGs Corporate Head Office, 700 University Avenue, Toronto ON Canada.
In 1997, Errol immigrated to the United States under the auspices of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), where he resided for six years (1997 – 2002). He joined the project management and business-consulting firm (the PCI Group Inc.), as the Scientific Engineering Technologist, and Senior Project Management (Engineering) Process Designer.
Errol’s NAFTA tenure allowed him to travel to many states on assignment at several major US corporations, including General Motors (GM), DailmerChrysler, and Allison Transmission in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. These assignments allowed Errol to interact directly with numerous executive leaders. Errol relinquished his technical career near the end of 2002 and returned to Canada, where he lives with his wife, Marjorie, in Milton, ON Canada.
Errol had the opportunity to share the podium with and speak on the same circuit with many world luminaries, most notable Dr. Professor Mercedes Richards (1955 – 2016), Astronomer at Pennsylvania State University, PA. USA, and Dr. Captain William Scott, NASA Astronaut/Author. Errol is a self-inspired researcher, philosopher, writer, mentor, moderator, and speaker. Errol has written many “position papers” (technical and non-technical). Likewise, he has conducted many presentations (nationally and internationally).
Errol is uniquely qualified to assist with any field of research, analysis, or business undertaking. He brings to the environment such skills as strategic thinking, analytical reasoning, cost, risk, resource and communications management, complex negotiations, conflict avoidance, problem-solving, business assessments, and methodologies to re-engineer business processes.
On the “soft side,” Errol has spent the past two decades, observing the phenomenon of human life. His peers recognize him as an analytical thinker, with empirical reasoning, and compelling philosophical arguments. He has traveled to major cities in the United States and Canada, to parts of England, France, Italy, Ghana and Togo, Africa, to the USVI such as St. Croix, St. Thomas, and St. John, and the British Virgin Islands (BVI) of Tortola, and Virgin Gorda, and parts of the Caribbean.
Errol ponders the plight of humankind ―lamenting a world of exponential growth in world religions, human knowledge, and great financial and material wealth, underpinned by academia, science and technology, engineering and space exploration. Still! He wonders why vast numbers of people live in oppression, various forms of slavery, subject to human trafficking, poverty, hunger, and various stages of homelessness and disenfranchisement.
Errol is the principal author of two seminal works, as his contribution to achieving the better life that human beings seek. Namely: © 2011 Five Foundations of Human Development (FFHD) A Proposal for our Survival in Twenty-first and the New Millennium, with the companion text Thoughts to Enlighten and Empower the Mind. © 2011 2001 Questions and Philosophical Thoughts to Inspire, Enlighten, and Empower our World to Limitless Heights.
His other seminal work is ©2016 Discovering Your Optimum Happiness Index (OHI). This text also has a companion text ©2016 Discovering Your Optimum Happiness Index Quotes Handbook 365Q. A vital feature of the main book is the Ten Key Happiness Indicators (TKHI), and Happiness Index Methodology (HIM), and the potential for the development of a Happiness Index App.
SAMPLE OF SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified (Scientific) Engineering Technologist (CET)
- Instrumentation Maintenance Technologist, City & Guilds, and the
- Equivalent to Ordinary National Certificate (ONC) in Applied
- Physics and Mechanical Engineering, City & Guilds, London, England
Self-inspired Researcher, Philosopher, Writer, Speaker, Mentor, and Moderator
PAST POSITIONS (INDUSTRIAL AND CORPORATE):
- Senior Project Management Process Designer
- Scientific Engineering Technologist
- Interim Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Senior Project Management Planner
- Project Management Analyst (PMA)
- Planning and Scheduling Engineer/Officer MP2
- Instrumentation Engineering Technician IV
- Control Maintainer II (Electrical and Instrumentation)
SAMPLE OF CORPORATE DUTIES:
- Planned, coordinated, and facilitated in developing the project charter and the supporting project plan requirements. Initiated and conducted high-level stakeholder meetings. Facilitated the planning and development of the program cadence for approved and pilot projects. Facilitated the development of Order-of-Magnitude, Intermediate, and Definitive budgets, and Cost Management Systems.
- Developed and implemented (in an integrated environment) a Program/Project Management Office (PMO) to support large-scale engineering, procurement, manufacturing, facilities management, and assembly projects. Conducted Time, Resource, and Cost Analysis, using alternate resources profiles and project prioritization to level resource histograms for high-level decision-making by senior executives.
- Wrote Corporate Policies such as Roles, Responsibilities, and Accountabilities, Communications Management, for Yearly Audits, and Change Control Systems. Wrote Project Management (PM) Guidelines and Procedures, including supporting metrics for PM audits for compliance for quality, delivery, and timing against milestones, key events, target dates, checklists, and tables. Provided input to Information Technology (IT) infrastructure initiatives.
- Established project management processes within the framework of the ten knowledge areas of project management. Developed training procedures manual. Delivered presentations and process training to clients in various corporations within the integrated Tier 1, and Tire 2 supply chain management integrated structure.
- Developed assessment tools and conducted divisional assessments for corporate rightsizing, maturity, capability, infrastructure readiness, communications, and change management systems to support business process re-engineering initiatives.
SAMPLE SUMMARY OF EDUCATION:
- Barataria Boys Roman Catholic School
- 5 Year Technical Apprenticeship, PowerGen
- Royal Victoria Institute (Technical Evening)
- John Donaldson Technical (Current University of TT Campus)
- San Fernando Polytechnic (Current University of TT Campus)
- Ryerson University (Continuing Education) (CEs)
- University of Toronto (Continuing Education) (CEs)
- George Brown College (Continuing Education) (CEs)
- Seneca College (Continuing Education) (CEs)
- Primavera Engineering Technology Inc. (Project Management _Computerized)
- Extensive Professional and Corporate Development (OPG)
- Extensive Professional and Corporate Development (External) (PDUs)
SAMPLE OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE TRAINING, AND BUSINESS EDUCATION AND PRACTICE ―MAGAZINES AND JOURNALS
- Microsoft Project Management Software
- Open Plan Project Management Software 2016
- Oracle Primavera Project Management Software P6
- Viewpoint Project Management Software
- Project Management Software Evaluation
- Project Cost Engineering and Estimating
- Estimating and Budgeting (Order of Magnitude, Intermediate, and Definitive)
- Fundamentals of Nuclear, Thermal, and Hydraulic Power Generation
- Power Transmission Grid Systems (up to 230 KV Power Transmission Lines)
- Power Transmission Zonc Construction Management Systems (ZONC)
- Transmission Projects Integrated Management Systems (TPIMS)
- Construction Project Management ─Management by Constructability
- Utility and Environmental Industrial OEM Project Planning, Scheduling & Control Guidelines
- Electrical Engineering Technology Part I, II, III
- Protection and Control Systems Part I, II, III
- Analytical and Chemical Analysis
- Fundamentals of Marketing Management 101
- Finance for Non-Financial Managers
- Business Writing for Professionals
- Efficiency in Writing Technical Documents
- Introduction to Sociology 101
- Macro and Micro Economics
- Managing Total Quality (MTQ)
- Management by Objectives (MBO)
- Project Management Institute ―A guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® guide) ― Fifth Edition. Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data: ISBN 978-1-935589-67-9
- Project Management Institute ―Project Management PM NET (ISSN 1040-8754) (The Professional Magazine of the Project Management Institute)
- Project Management Institute ―Project Management Journal® ISSN 8756-9728
- The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) (The Ontario Technologist Magazine) ISSN 0380-1969
- Project Management Institute ―PMI Today (ISSN 1040- 8745)
SAMPLE OF CURRENT MEMBERSHIP(S):
- The Project Management Institute (PMI)
- The International Leaders Association (ILA)
- Ontario Association of Certified Engineering
- Technicians and Technologists (OACETT)
- The Society of Energy Professionals
- Member of the Women’s Federation for World Peace (In consultation in General Consultative Status of ECOSOC and in association with UN Department of Public Information)
SAMPLE OF PAST MEMBERSHIP(S):
- Professional and Administrative Employees of OPG
- American Association of Cost Engineers (AACE)
SAMPLE OF PRESENTATIONS AND BLACK COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENTS
- Moderated a panel discussion at the 2019 Oxford Africa’s Conference, University of Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Conducted: Youth Leadership Mentoring Program (multiple sessions) for Citizens for the Advancement of Community Development (CACD) Mississauga, ON.
- Presenter: Book Launch: Discovering Your Optimum Happiness Index (OHI) “An Evening of Talks and Dialogues” National Library and Information System Authority (NALIS) Trinidad, West Indies.Track Speaker: “Making Wise Investments Edition” The Xchange: Meet the Who’s Who (Professional Networking and Socializing Event). Toronto, ON.
- Keynote Speaker: “A Black History Month Presentation” Diversity Committee at Ontario Power Generation (OPG) Pickering Nuclear GS, Pickering, ON.
- Keynote Speaker: “What is Corporate Maturity and Management by Hierarchical Pyramids and Optimization” WJN Holdings 3rd Year Anniversary Corporate Luncheon. Atrium Conference Centre. Burlington, ON.
- Track Speaker for the Visions of Science Network for Learning (VoSNL) 19th Annual Science Symposium Hosted at George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre, Toronto ON Canada (2010)
- Keynote Speaker for the Foundation for the Academic Advancement of Spiritual Baptist Youth (FAASBY) at their Twelfth Awards Ceremony and Scholarship Award Presentation at La Brea, Trinidad, West Indies. Audience: High School, College, University students, Academics, and Lecturers (2009)
- Track Speaker: 3rd Annual Youth Symposium “Born to Succeed” Destiny Gospel Center – Destiny Community Outreach. Track Speaker: Markham, ON.
- Wrote and presented a “Blueprint” to install a Project Management Department in the Faculty of Engineering at All Nations University College (ANUC), Koforidua, Ghana.
- Track Speaker: “Discover Your Genius” at the 16th Annual Visions 2008 Science Symposium and 2ND VoSNL Fair, University of Toronto Medical Sciences Building. Toronto, ON.
- Keynote Speaker: “Community Empowerment (Macro-infrastructure Solution Perspectives)” Africana Village and Museum Project (AVMP) Fundraising Brunch Empowerment Conference. Scarborough, ON.
- Keynote Speaker: “An Evening of Talks and Dialogues with Errol Gibbs” Herman Parris Spiritual Baptist Southland School of Theology. Foundation for the Academic Advancement of Spiritual Baptist Youth (FAASBY). Trinidad, W.I.
- Founding member and Special Advisor to the defunct Ontario Black Tradesmen and Tradeswomen (OBTTO) Ontario, Canada
- Former President of the Black Employees Scholarship Fund of Ontario Hydro, Toronto, ON. Former President and Coach of Marley United Soccer Club, Toronto, ON
SAMPLE OF PRESENTATIONS AND MAINSTREAM COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENTS
- Presenter: The 16th Annual International Leadership Association (ILA) Global Conference. “Conscious Leading for Global Change: Emergence of our Collective Realities.” San Diego, California, USA.
- Panelist: “Visions of the Future World” “Evaluation of the Focus of Education” Universal Peace Federation (UPF)/Women’s Federation for World Peace (WFWP) (NGO in General Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the UN). Toronto, ON.
- Panelist: “Should Canada See Itself as a Welcoming Family?” Universal Peace Federation (UPF)/Women’s Federation for World Peace (WFWP) (NGO in General Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the UN). Toronto, ON.
- Panelist “Motherhood, Fatherhood – Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow” Universal Peace Federation (UPF)/Women’s Federation for World Peace (WFWP) (NGO in General Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the UN). Ottawa, ON.
- Presenter: “Driving Business into Success” Project Management Institute (PMI®) Canada Technology Triangle (CTT). St Georges Hall. Waterloo, ON.
- Wrote and co-presented a “White Paper” ―Manufacturing Engineering Project Office (MEPO) ―A Critical Link to Supplier Integration (PMI 2000 World Symposium), Houston, Texas, USA.
SAMPLE OF COMMENDATIONS AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
- Recognition as a Moderator of a panel discussion at the 2019 Oxford Africa’s Conference, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Community Hero Recognized by the Students of Trent University, Oshawa, ON
- Ambassador for Peace Recognized by the Women’s Federation for World Peace (WFWP), Toronto, ON
- Recognized as a Distinguished National of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in the Canadian Diaspora, Toronto, ON
- Recognized as a Mentor in the Pathways to Leadership Program ―Citizens for the Advancement of Community Development (CACD), Mississauga, ON.
- Recognized for contribution as of Special Advisor to the defunct Ontario Black Tradesmen and Tradeswomen (OBTTO), Toronto, ON
- Recognition for the keynote presentation at the Herman Parris Spiritual Baptist Southland School of Theology. Foundation for the Academic Advancement of Spiritual Baptist Youth (FAASBY), Trinidad, W.I.
- Appreciation for contributing to the “Men of Valor Conference” and conducting “An Evening of Talks and Dialogues” with Errol A. Gibbs at the All Nations Church, Toronto, ON
- Appreciation for accepting a commission to visit and prepare a study to install a Project Management Department as an adjunct to the Faculty of Engineering at All Nations University College, Koforidua, E/R, Ghana