This story is familiar to our respective families. Simultaneously, for many generations, members of our family have been practicing the following ten “Vertical Relationship” (VR), and ten “Horizontal Relationships” (HR), as an unscripted tradition, and we share those practices with you.
TEN VERTICAL RELATIONSHIPS (VR) PRACTICES THAT STRENGHTEN OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
- Obey God’s commandments (Obedience).
- Read inspirational books (Meditation).
- Seek spiritual guidance (Worship).
- Forsake revenge (Forgiveness).
- Pray daily (Communion).
- Obey human laws (Civility).
- Seek God’s will (Righteousness).
- Sanctify our lives (Consecration).
- Care for God’s creation (Stewardship).
- Believe in a higher moral authority (Faith).
TEN HORIZONTAL RELATIONSHIP (HR) PRACTICES THAT STRENGHTEN OUR RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS
- Extend unconditional love to others (Caring).
- Apply fairness and justice equitably (Equity).
- Forgive others unconditionally (Forgiveness).
- Practice nondiscrimination (Humanity).
- Live peacefully with all (Humility).
- Sympathize with others (Empathy).
- Serve others selflessly (Servanthood).
- Commit to one’s relationships (Loyalty).
- Consider the poor and homeless (Charity).
- Communicate honestly with others (Integrity).
These combined twenty “Vertical Relationship” (VR) and “Horizontal Relationship” (HR) practices constitute a blueprint for improving our relationship with God and neighbor, which are mutually inclusive as well. Despite the trials in our daily lives, these VR and HR practices will improve immensely one’s state of contentment and will elevate one’s “Happiness Index” (HI).
Daily practices of the above ten “Vertical Relationship” (VR) and “Horizontal Relationship” (HR) activities will improve immensely one’s state of contentment and elevate his or her “Happiness Index” (HI) to a higher level. These combined twenty VR and HR practices are mutually inclusive, most beneficial as a concurrent practice.
Marjorie and I would not argue that these twenty VR and HR practices are simple to follow, but this blueprint, penned herein, brings hope in the postmodern era for happiness, anchored upon the foundation of the two great commandments that can inspire and inform tens of thousands of human laws (Matthew 22:37–40).
¹Extracted from: “Discovering Your Optimum ‘Happiness Index’ (OHI)” —A Self-Directed Guide to Your “Happiness Index” (HI) (Including Questionnaire and Self-Improvement [SI] Templates). © 2016 Errol A. and Marjorie G. Gibbs. All rights reserved.